The Multicultural Advisory Committee (MAC) has been established by Council to provide a forum for ongoing engagement and dialogue with culturally and linguistically diverse communities in the Burwood Local Government Area (LGA).
The Committee has been in operation since 2017 and Council is now seeking to expand community representation on the Committee to support the development of Council’s Multicultural Strategy and the ongoing work of Council in building a stronger, connected and more inclusive Burwood community.
Join the Multicultural Advisory Committee
We are currently inviting expressions of interest from community members from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds to be part of the Committee.
The role of the Committee is to:
- Raise emerging issues regarding multicultural needs in the Burwood LGA and recommend strategies and actions.
- Provide informed and timely advice on matters relating to multicultural communities in the Burwood LGA.
- Actively participate in the development of Council’s multicultural programs and policies.
- Monitor the implementation of Council’s Multicultural Strategy.
- Provide a two-way mechanism for communication between Council and multicultural communities in the Burwood LGA.
There are a total of 8 community representative positions available. Expressions of interest will be assessed in accordance with the selection criteria outlined below.
- Reside, work (in a paid or voluntary capacity) or have an active interest in the Burwood LGA and represent a CALD community, preferably representing one of the key language or cultural groups in a leadership role.
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding, experience and/or expertise in multicultural issues in the Burwood LGA.
- Be available to attend at least bi-monthly meetings and demonstrate a willingness to volunteer time to work on initiatives.
- Participate in relevant working parties.
- Undertake to communicate and engage with the community represented.
- Be willing to work within the Terms of Reference.
Representatives of political parties are excluded.If you would like to express interest in becoming part of the MAC, please complete the form below by Monday 27 June 2022.
Interpreter Support: If you would prefer to register over the phone with the support of an interpreter, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask them to connect you to Council's Community Projects Officer (Diversity and Inclusion) on 9911 9889.